Over the years, I've gotten to know quite a few families who save money by having the mother cut the children's hair.
But.... did any of them think to actually pay Mom the money that was saved? Doubtful.
For quite some years now, I've mostly cut my own hair. (Not that you'd noticed. I've actually gotten rather good at it. Of course, when I was only 14..... But I digress.)
Recently, I decided that I deserve to get paid for my efforts (if not the actual results). So, I set up a haircut jar. Since I keep my hair extremely short and cut it every other week, I figure -- all things considered -- that each haircut is worth about $4 to me. So every time I cut my hair, four bucks goes into the haircut jar. And the money mounts up.
When times have been a bit tight, I've borrowed from the fund, each time leaving an IOU in place of the money I've borrowed. And when funds are available, I redeem the IOUs.
I also do the same thing with laundry (which I should have started doing about three years ago!). Every time I do a load of laundry, the money I would have spent in a laundromat goes into the laundry jar.
Nice.
3 comments:
"I also do the same thing with laundry (which I should have started doing about three years ago!)"
I also think you should have started doing your laundry about three years ago.
The only time I go to a laundry mat is when my washer or dryer is broken...When TF and I were first married, we used to put quarters in a drawer for use at the apartment's laundry...We always put what change we had at the end of the day into that drawer....We still put our change into a jar (instead of drawer) and save it for the car wash or just save it....
Do you put money you save from coupons at the grocery store away? I use that extra money for food storage.
I've rarely had a washer and dryer available to me. I used to save quarters in those little plastic film cans (and still do!). Each can holds $7 in quarters.
I'm also going to start paying myself to do oil changes.
Haven't even bothered trying to keep track of coupon money.
Post a Comment