15 December 2008

72-Hour Emergency Kit

Everyone should be prepared for whatever emergency is likely to happen in the local area. Here in the Scenic City, we're really not all that concerned about blizzards, but tornadoes are another matter altogether. Hence, my kit is biased in that direction.

When an emergency hits, the first 72 hours are critical. If you can come thru that unscathed, you're probably ahead of the power curve. Following is a list (to be updated as needed) of what I see as the essentials to get me thru just about any local emergency. I highly recommend using a backpack to carry everything in.

And just for practice, you might try putting that backpack on and carrying around for a little while every so often.

My list:

P-38 can opener*
Leatherman
Pistol w/ ammo
Orange Whistle
Mess kit
50-mile map**
Water filter bottle
TN Map
Film cans w/ coins***
Small clipboard?
Roll-up hat
Pup tent
Hall’s lozenges
Poncho
Metal cup
Mini light(s)
Small binoculars
Sony radio
Bandana
Mylar blanket
Sunglasses w/ hard case
ZipLoc bags (quart & gallon)
TP in ZipLoc bag
Wet Wipes
Matches, strike anywhere, in film can
Lint fire-starter, in film can
MP3 player
Batteries (AA, AAA)
Padlock (w/ encrypted combo)
Eye Patch
Anti-biotic ointment (blue)****
Hankies (in ZipLoc)
Multi-vitamins (double)
Work gloves
Jerky
Sewing kit
Dental floss
Small magnifying glass*****
Shaving mirror, metal
Medications


*This is a military item, available at most surplus or outdoor places. Very small, very reliable

**I found this in Books-A-Million. It shows Chattanooga and a 50-mile radius around the city. Nice if you have to leave town.

***One film can holds $7 in quarters.

****I get it from Dollar Tree. It comes in a blue box, brand name "Natureplex". Good stuff.

*****Great not only for reading maps, but also starting fires in bright sunlight. (Doesn't work so well at night, though. YMMV)

2 comments:

Lucy Stern said...

Jahn, do you have room in your pack for an extra set of clothes? Maybe you could pack a separate little pack with clothes and toiletries...Sounds like a great pack with some good items that I had not thought about.

Go over and take a look at: www.beprepared.com

Jahn said...

Hey, I'm a guy. I can live in the same clothes for a week. :-]

But I should probably add a pair of socks, just to be safe.

I do have some toiletries in there -- just the basics for 72 hours.

I'll go check out that site. If it looks good, I'll link to it.