06 June 2009

Securing Your Stuff

As you might guess, 29½ years in the military will teach a person a bit about security. Regarding your possessions, some things are pretty obvious; e.g. making a photographic record of your stuff.

OK, so you got your digital (possibly video) camera out and took pictures of all the stuff you really don't want to lose. Now, what about your camera? If you've already taken a lot of pictures, you'll have to archive them off the chip before you do this, but if you've just gotten one, here's what to do:

Bring up your favorite word processor on your computer and start a new document (in landscape format) with the following information:

Name
Address* (optional)
Phone number
e-mail (optional)


Then take a picture of the screen with your camera. If you do this correctly, this will be the very first picture you see when you look at the pictures on your camera. YMMV. Now, if you ever lose your camera and some honest person finds it and looks at the pictures, there's your contact info and you at least have a chance at recovering your camera.

(*I'm lucky enough to have a P. O. Box, so I use that as my address.)

1 comment:

Debra said...

I'm not sure why, but this post showed up in my RSS feed on my desktop. I'm glad I read it. That's a clever idea I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks for sharing it!